Articles | Links | Additional Resources | Masters Examination Study Guide
Thank you for your interest in Georgia licensure for social workers. In Georgia, a social worker can apply for licensure as a Licensed Master's Social Worker (LMSW) or a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW). A copy of the rules Chapter 135, Requirements for Licensure Chapter 135-5-.03 of the Rules - LMSW and Chapter 135-5-.04 of the Rules - LCSW will assist you in determining the right license for your situation. You can obtain a copy for a nominal fee by calling or writing to the Composite Board or free of charge by going online to their web site: www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/counselors
Contact info for the Board:
Georgia Professional Licensing Boards
Composite Board - Social Work
237 Coliseum Drive
Macon, Georgia 31217-3858
Phone Number: (478) 207-2440; Fax Number: (478) 207-1676
Georgia CE Requirements for Licensure Renewal:
5 ethics hours, 15 core hours, 15 related or core hours (total = 35 hours) per 2-year cycle.
Continuing education information is addressed in Chapter 135-9-.01 of the Rules.
NASW-GA continuing education approvals
NASW National continuing education approvals
Supervision is addressed in the rules for licensure
(LMSW: Chapter 135-5-.03 of the Rules; and LCSW: Chapter 135-5-.04 of the Rules).
Click Supervision and the Clinical Social Worker to review the June 2003 Practice Update from NASW.
The need for additional licensed social workers is evident throughout the state. At the same time, there are an increasing number of applications for the LCSW being denied by the Composite Board's Social Work Standards Committee because of issues related to supervision. In response to this, Composite Board member Helen Coale wrote a series of seven articles about supervision for the NASW-GA newsletter.
Some Brief Tips from Your Licensing Board's Social Work Standards Committee
Focus on LCSW Supervisors: Standard of Care Issues
Power and Control Issues in Supervision
Power and Control Issues in Supervision, Part 2
Red Flags in Supervision: Overfunctioning and Underfunctioning
Red Flags for Dangerous Secrets in Supervision
The "Good Enough" Supervisor
Complete Set of Articles 1-7
GA Composite Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers,
and Marriage and Family Therapists
Frequently Asked Questions (Licensure)
Download Forms - licensure applications and related forms
Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
ASWB exam FAQs
ASWB Licensing Basics
ASWB candidate handbook
ASWB Exam Registration
Note: Georgia candidates for licensure must have approval from the GA Composite Board before registering with ASWB to take either the Masters or Clinical level exam. Begin the licensure process by submitting the required forms and fee to Georgia Professional Licensing Boards. If your application is in order and you are approved to sit for the exam, you will be notified in writing 5 – 7 working days after the Composite Board’s monthly meeting. No information related to Board decisions is provided by telephone.
- Dr. Jackie Pray of Social Work Unlimited conducts a 2-day licensure exam prep seminar.
- Ventajas offers exam prep services and materials.
- Social Work Examination Services (SWES) includes complete listing of state social work licensing boards and how to contact them, as well as general licensing information.
- Association for Advanced Training in the Behavioral Sciences offers educational materials for the National Social Work Examination; site offers sample licensing exam questions and other resources for social workers and mental health professionals.
- Licensing ExAm Preparation (LEAP) Licensing ExAm Preparation for the Masters, Advanced Generalist and Clinical level of the ASWB Social Work Exam. Comprehensive Study Guide, Practice Questions Packet, and preparation course available. Materials developed by well-known industry experts. We offer discounts for NASW members. See us online at www.LicensingPrep.com or call toll free 877.677.LEAP
- Licensing Exam, Inc.
www.SocialWorkExam.com Test prep site for Social Work Exam. Multiple choice, case study, content. Free practice exam Online 24/7. Social Work Licensure Exam Review
Links are provided for informational purposes only.
NASW/GA does not monitor accuracy or contents of these sites.
Please advise if you find a site that is no longer in operation.
We welcome your suggestions for additional links.
Rule change alert: Documentation by both Social Work supervisors and supervisees, is now required by the Social Work Standards Committee of the Georgia Composite Board. If you are working toward your LCSW or supervising such social workers, you must assure these records are being kept.
This rule can be found on the Secretary of State’s web site (http://sos.georgia.gov/plb/counselors/) by going to the Rules section and finding 135-5-.04 Clinical Social Workers. (2) Licensure Process #5. In full the rule is:
Both supervisors and supervisees are required to maintain a contemporaneous record of the date, duration, type (individual, paired, or group), and a brief summary of the pertinent activity for each supervision session to be submitted to the Board upon request. If there are any discrepancies in hours, contemporaneous documentation of supervision will be requested.
If you have not initiated this practice as either the supervisor or supervisee, do so immediately! A suggested method of documentation is for both parties to maintain a spiral notebook with chronological documentation. It is also suggested that each party assure the other is maintaining the documentation after each supervisory session.
Direction and Supervision Suggestions: Two additional suggestions are made to those working toward the LCSW and are changing positions. First, request the completion of Form B (Social Work Directed Experience Verification Form) by your employer or administrative superior who provided administrative oversight of your work before you leave. Second, request the completion of From C (Social Work Supervision Verification Form) by your clinical supervisor if this is changing. In smaller agencies this may be the same person, but both forms must be completed.
By securing these forms before you start the LCSW application process, you will save yourself the possible frustrations associated with finding former supervisors and administrators, in addition to your valuable time and energy. Additionally, you will have ample time to check the accuracy of both forms and resolve any differences.
Licensure renewal —PLAN NOW!
1. Make sure your CE records are up-to-date. Review your records early! This will allow you ample time to find either live or on-line opportunities to fulfill your continuing education requirements. When reviewing your continuing education certificates, make sure you have met the minimum requirements for renewal. Remember, during each two-year cycle social workers need:
· At least 15 hours approved for core continuing education
· No more than 15 hours of related continuing education
· At least 5 hours of approved continuing education in ethics
2. Don’t forget your local, state and national NASW resources for continuing education.
· Most of NASW-GA’s geographic units offer free or low cost CE opportunities
· The Chapter Educational Center hosts a variety of workshops throughout the year
· The National website offers free on-line courses for members
· The Chapter website lists all CE programs which have been approved by NASW-GA for continuing education hours
· Our partner, yourceus.com, offers a wide variety of on-line courses for a nominal fee
There are many opportunities available to you. Don’t get caught short!!